formative evaluation process of the ANGEL project identified several
'hot topics' that were of specific concern to the interviewees. This page
covers these topics, providing links to information, guides, and projects.
| guidance | IPR | incentive
| training | pedagogy
Many online journals
carry articles covering these topic areas. You may wish to take a look
at some, or all, of the following:
- Technology Source - articles on the challenge of integrating information technology tools into teaching.
- Ariadne- targeted principally at information science professionals in academia.
- DLib - a monthly magazine about innovation and research in digital libraries.
- Alt-N - news and reviews concerning learning technology and the learning society.
- Cultivate - articles about the projects in the EU DIGICULT programme.
- LT World - news concerning library systems, electronic publishing, and information policy and research.
- Educational Technology and Society-journal of the IEEE Computer Society Learning Technology Task Force.
- First Monday - publishes original articles about the Internet.
Other useful links include:
mle sites | project sites | advice and guidance | other links
Plagiarism and Cheating - concerns were expressed over the increasing ability to cheat and plagiarise using IT.
A Definition of Plagiarism
the Wireless Web Ate My Homework, I Swear'
Article in the New York Times.
The service is free, but you will have to register to use it.
- "Teachers Mull Ways to Fight Web Plagiarism"
- "Students Plagiarize Less Than Many Think, a New Study Finds"
- "Plagiarizers Beware Turnitin.com is here to stop your cheating ways."
- "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Web: A Cautionary Tale of Plagiarism."
Teaching Law Online
- Plagiarism Prevention and Detection
Guidance - interviewees wondered whether or not online environments offer too much assistance to students.
- "After the Big Bang: Forces of Change and e-Learning"
- Helping Students with Personal Learning Projects
- Mentoring and Tutoring Online
Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) - fears were expressed over loss of IPR online.
- "Lessons from Open Source: Intellectual Property and Courseware"
- JISC Briefing Paper on Copyright and IPR
- IPR - Legal Information
- Guidelines on Policy Approaches to IPR in HEI's
owns copyright in HE?
linking and IPR.
Property, the Internet and Higher Education.
Incentive - interviewees felt that there was little incentive offered to both staff and students for using MLEs.
- "The Role of Education Faculty in Choosing Web-based Course Management Systems"
A useful article which touches on many of the issues surrounding incentives for using MLEs.
- "Internet Teaching and the Administration of Knowledge"
Testing at the University of Arizona Library: How You Let the Users in
on the Design."
Principles of Effective Teaching: A Practical Lens for Evaluating Online
- "Creating Online Courses: A Step-by-Step Guide"
Training - are staff offered too little training in the
use of MLEs?
- "The Support Service Crisis: A Misnomer"
- JISC Committee for Awareness, Liaison and Training (JCALT)
Pedagogical Framework - do online environments require
a change in pedagogical practice?
- The Journal of the International Forum of Educational Technology & Society contains many useful articles concerning the use of pedagogy in online environments.
- "Development of a Virtual Campus Based on Bimodal Education"
- "Online Communities as a New Learning Paradigm"
- JISC briefing paper on pedagogy
- "A Framework for Pedagogical Evaluation of Virtual Learning Environments"
- "Pedagogy and Policy in the Age of the Wired Professor"
- "Does Technology Present a New Way of Learning?"
- Computers in Teaching and Learning - Maintained by Mark Stiles
Learning Environment Sites
- Campus Pipeline
- Learning Manager
Advice and Guidance
- Case Studies see how other institutions made the decision to purchase a
to get it Wrong how not to buy a VLE.
- JISC Guide to MLE
- VLE Comparisons
- Library Use of WebCT
- Ferl: Focus on
Virtual Learning Environments
- Towards a
strategy for Oxford’s successful implementation of a centrally supported
Virtual Learning Environment. Report by Frances Condron.
Other Useful Links
vs. Educational Priorities.
Cultural Change Study.
"Linking to the Appropriate Copy" This is an important issue
for the ANGEL project. For more information, please see the ANGEL Conceptual
and the Expanded Text Consortium Useful article on practical experience
of carrying out formative assessment online.